The 1850 Sankaty Head Lighthouse on the island of Nantucket, Massachusetts was the first lighthouse in the United States to have a Fresnel lens as part of its original equipment. The original keeper’s house, shown on this stereo view image, was torn down and replaced in 1886 with a wooden duplex, which also no longer stands, having been demolished in 1953. In Oct. 2007 the lighthouse was moved back from the eroding bluff. This image was taken by J. Freeman, a popular photographer of his time. The card has some brown spots from age, but is otherwise in good condition and would make an excellent addition to any lighthouse or stereo view card collection.